A recent poll conducted by Anime!Anime! reveals what Japanese otaku considered their favorite anime movie in 2017. There was a lot to choose from – last year was a big year for anime!
But the people have spoken, and here are the results:
- Sword Art Online Ordinal Scale
- Fate/stay night: Heaven’s Feel
- No Game No Life Zero
- Is the Order a Rabbit? ~Dear My Sister~
- Detective Conan: Crimson Love Letter
- Free! -Timeless Melody- Kizuna
- Kuroko’s Basketball: Last Game
- Girls und Panzer Das Finale Part 1
- Free! -Take Your Marks-
- Kizumonogatari Part 3: Reiketsu Arc
- Free! -Timeless Melody- Yakusoku
- The Irregular at Magic High School The Movie; The Girl Who Calls the Stars
- Black Butler: Book of the Atlantic
- Sound! Euphonium~Todoketai Melody~
- Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom?
- Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion I: Koudou
- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya Oath Under Snow
- 3 WAY TIE – Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters / Genocidal Organ / Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You!
Oddly, one of the top grossing films of 2017 – Doraemon the Movie: Great adventure in the Antarctic Kachi Kochi – didn’t even make it on the list. I guess younger kids didn’t vote much.
Top 3 Breakdown
Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale dominated the results, grabbing 27.2% of overall votes. Males especially loved SOA – 35.4% of male respondents chose it.
For those not familiar with SOAOS, the movie took a new direction, with the SOA experience shifting from VR to AR, incorporating real locations around Tokyo in the film.
Fate/stay night: Heaven’s Feel grabbed #2 (13.4% of the votes) with a gripping story about the Holy Grail Wars and its incredible fight scenes.
No Game No Life Zero secured the #3 position. This colorful anime captured audiences with sharper focus on the show’s core ideas than its TV counterpart, even if the story seemed a bit rushed.
- Conducted by: Anime!Anime!
- Dates: December 27th – 29th
- 559 respondents
- 62% male, 38% female
- 40% under 19 years old, 30% 20-29 years old, 30% 30+ years old